- This event has passed.
EU Consortium Middle East Workshop
18 June 2014 - 19 June 2014
Capacity-building Workshop for mid-level Diplomats in support of the Helsinki Conference on a Middle East WMD Free Zone
In 2011 and 2012, the EU Non-Proliferation Consortium organised two international seminars in support of a process aimed at establishing a Zone Free of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDFZ) in the Middle East. The 2011 and 2012 seminars proved successful in bringing parties together and exploring key issues. The EU decided to sponsor a related event in 2014 as a practical contribution to the Helsinki Conference. Organised by our Consortium, a capacity-building workshop was held on the 18th and 19th June 2014 in Brussels, bringing together mid-level diplomats from the region for presentations on zones elsewhere and building blocks of multilateral diplomacy, along with a simulation exercise.
- African Nuclear Weapon Free Zone (Pelindaba Treaty) – Case Study: History and Applicable Lessons, by Thomas Markram (UN Office for Disarmament Affairs)
- Security and Confidence-Building Measures Elsewhere, by Ambassador Rüdiger Lüdeking (Permanent Representative of the Federal Republic of Germany to the OSCE)
- Methodology, History, Tools of Multilateral Negotiations, by Ambassador Arend Meerburg (The Netherlands)
- CBMs in Southeast Asia, by Mark Fitzpatrick (IISS)
- Establishing a WMDFZ in the Middle East, by Tariq Rauf (SIPRI)
- 18 June 2014
- 19 June 2014
- Event Category:
- Ad Hoc Seminars
- Crowne Plaza, Le Palace
Rue Gineste 3