- This event has passed.
First EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Conference
3 February 2012 - 4 February 2012
More than 200 experts gathered in Brussels on the 3-4 February 2012 to discuss the spread of nuclear and other dangerous weapons. The EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Conference took place just as the EU imposed a ban on Iranian oil sales in an effort to persuade Tehran back to the nuclear negotiating table. In accordance with the Consortium division of labour, IISS took on the main organizing role for the conference. The keynote address was given by Hans Blix, the former Director General of the IAEA. All the Plenary Sessions were recorded on video and are available through this website. Furthermore, summaries of the Plenary Sessions can be downloaded, as well as the Plenary and Special Sessions transcripts.
For additional information on the Conference, please see the dedicated Conference website of IISS.
Plenary Sessions: videos, speech transcripts, Q&A and summaries
- Introduction – by Mark Fitzpatrick
- Welcoming Comments – by Maciej Popowski
- First Plenary Session – Strengthening the NPT
- Keynote Address – by Hans Blix
- Second Plenary Session – Non-proliferation and security in the Middle East
- Third Plenary Session – EU non-proliferation policy and implementation
- Fourth Plenary Session – Iranian Nuclear Issue
- Closing Comments – by Mara Marinaki
Special Sessions: transcripts
- Special Session 1 – Reducing Biological Risks and Chemical Weapons Threats
- Special Session 2 – Space and Missile Proliferation
- Special Session 3 – Combating Proliferation-Related Crimes
- Special Session 4 – Nuclear Security
- Special Session 5 – Conventional Arms Trade and Trafficking
- Special Session 6 – Proliferation Case Studies: North Korea, Pakistan, Syria
- The Conference online photo album is available on Flickr